Sunday, September 9, 2018

inapplicably micromixing intertidally

No Pithy Quotes Today, I found 50 of them all in a lump:
(you may have to embolden...)





After you get over that, try this on-
Ordinarily I post my squirrel pictures here and so I have again today- 
Glad I wasn't invited.

Last night I was slaving over my hot stove (really just waiting for a pork chop from the hot grill to be brought in) and a friend called and asked me what time our dinner reservation was for.  I said 7, she asked what name I used to make it-  I said Sandy (because if I always tell the truth no one will catch me in a lie!).    I thought we were done and said 'I'll see you at 7 tomorrow!'.  She hesitated and told me she and her husband were at the bar in the restaurant right then.
OOPS.  Told her they would be pretty drunk by tomorrow.  She wrote down Sat., I wrote down Sun because I made the reservation.  
So, because they were already there, they stayed to eat, and fortunately had a lovely dinner and time, because they are gonna be there again tonight.  (After they got home she called to tell me she had it on her calendar for Sunday but not in her head.  Whew.  I don't need anybody else mad at me.  

And that dear folks, is why I made it clear that you DO NOT have to know those 50 things above-  our minds are already too cluttered to untangle facts-  so from now on they will be known as Phake Phacts.

And because I haven't been posting many pictures of work, here is the project on my dining room table-  remember I told you I am sewing quilts to quilts?  This is the (hopefully) LAST appearance of 
'All The Quilts I Made Before'.

Left side is sewn down, right side still has lots of pins, and my hand is the current pincushion. 

I know, I know-  no focal point, no horizon, no points of interest, no chiaroscuro, no ultimate plan, and limited color choices. And some pretty sloppy hand work.  
BUT it's "every quilt I made before..."  about 40 years worth not counting the ones that sold.  And they are all together here in one place and can easily be disposed of when the time comes.
And I will post one last picture when I haul it back to the studio and get it up on the wall again.  
All I need is a few brawny guys and some big nails.

Before I toddle off to go meet our friends for dinner, I've been saving an article from 'Artfinder' about whether or not one needs to attend art school to be an artist.  There are interviews with those on both sides, and after you read it you can make up your own mind (probably based on your own experience!)  

And while you're there, sign up for their newsletter too.

Frankly I wouldn't have traded my 6 years of art school for anything-  I learned so much in that time about the technical sides of art.  I learned historical references, learned connections and influences, as well as tried just about every medium and material but glassblowing (not available at ole SU back then).  It set me up perfectly to...um... work at the phone company, even though I couldn't type.  Sigh.  Fortunately graduate school got me teaching and that got me into art again since between classes I had all those huge tables to work on.  Anyway, my feeling is art is a practice-  you can get at it anyway you can finagle, but that's exactly what you have to do-  just DO it, to borrow an ad phrase.  The more you do, the more you will know.  Never pass up a trip to a museum or gallery but go alone so nobody is pulling your hither and yon.  Read the wall text, learn the 'story' of the exhibit.  Buy the book if you loved it and want to refer, but even a postcard will do.  Go on the free nights, there may even be music.

You learn art by being submerged in it and the fastest way for that is to go to art school.  If you can submerge yourself, that's great, but take classes wherever you can, don't follow one teacher, figure out how to do things the easiest way because the hard part is the thinking behind the work.  
Love the process.  That way you will learn to love the high (really!) you get from being so engaged that time disappears while you are in the studio. 

No Arty Party tonight, gotta get the dog stuffed into her Thunder-shirt if we're going out and weather is threatening.  Tell me your feelings on the above question.
                                   Sandy


No comments:

Post a Comment