Sunday, August 26, 2018

dastardly bangalore decade

“And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” (Anaïs Nin)



Some news around the home front-  our handy man has finished all the jobs we had lined up and done a great job.  I'd have this guy live-in if I could!  Anyway, one of his tasks (if he chose to do it) was to paint a giant black square on the courtyard side of the house, here:

We jostled around about how to locate it on the odd shape wall but finally settled on lining it up with the window above and the top of the door arch next to it.  The whole project is because we had hung some metal art pieces and the screws and edges all rusted onto the white paint.  This is the 'Almost Black' I used in the den in our old condo and absolutely loved it because it made an odd room finally comfortable.  Anyway, the PLAN (and there is one) is to find a hunk o' art of some impervious material to hang inside the square.  Maybe a metal sculpture in steel or something else the big winds won't take and deposit on a neighbor's roof.  Of course I might find something that will be easily removed when a new hurricane comes and I think I found it today-  Better Walls has outdoor show posters from different museums and I really like that idea-  hopefully held on with some grommets so they can be pulled down if necessary rather than forming a sail and ripping out the stucco!  So, this is my 'blank canvas', now to talk TY into going with a giant flying poster.  

Our guy also fixed the toilet but I guess you don't need to see that.  Meanwhile I have discovered the cleaners have dutifully dusted the baseboards in the bathroom and removed the inks from my wallpaper.  I thought it was a cloudy deposit of some sort and went at it with a spray bottle and watched a big swath of it just drip off the wall.  Don't need a handy man for that fix, need to replace the whole room of paper!  The last guy who put it up took all the leftover paper with him, damn him, or I'd piece it.

I've been continuing the re-making of all my big clothes all week, but today I found 2 more jackets that swallowed me whole when I tried them on.  They are maybe 20 years old, 'wearable art' with hand painted linen designs and a boxy look, out of current style, but I love the fabrics SO I am taking them tomorrow to the studio to cut them apart, recut a new pattern if I can find one that will work, and make them actually wearable again.  Just when I was getting ready to stop. 
Things really got exciting when I got a notice from Eileen Fisher stores that they are giving $5 gift cards for any Eileen Fisher clothes to bring in to recycle.  I started yanking old tee shirts and too big pants out of the closet and have two bags full to drag in.  Again, some things are 20+ years old, but I won't fight them if they stop me without taking everything-  sure a better offer than Goodwill!  Pretty soon I will have extra hangers again.


MORE ARTY PARTIE PIES
Jessica Leigh Clark-Bojin has been dubbed "Pie Hacker", "Pastry Queen" ,"Carbohydrate Whisperer" and "The Woman Responsible for Making Pies Cool Again" by media around the world - and it's no wonder. Her paradigm-busting pie art videos for the Food Network and Cooking Channel have garnered millions of views, with many generating over 10 million views in their first week. Jessica and her pies have been featured on ABCs the Chew, numerous times in Food & Wine Magazine, and her 2016 Kickstarter campaign for a new line of pie baking tools quickly surpassed its funding goal by 1600%.

Well, yeah, of course!  It's because Pies Are Awesome an so is Jessica!  These images are a set of pie patterns (no longer available) but check out their intricacies.  There is a YouTube on the link above to her website to see lots more.

Have to go start some sourdough starter.  The fun never ends.      Sandy

1 comment: