Friday, August 24, 2018

familiarly avocet familism

“Solitude, a rest from responsibilities, and peace of mind, will do you more good than the atmosphere of the studio and the conversations,”  
Louise Bourgeois 


Guess I'm having some troubles getting back into writing daily.  Wouldn't you know,  I apparently spent too long away baking or shopping or something.
I told you we had a handy man looking at the fountain because we thought we had a leak?  Well he took it all apart, blew out the hoses, checked it from stem to stern and pulled out an extended family of tiny little BUFO TOADS.  Guess they started hopping isn all directions when he lifted the screening that he installed to keep the frogs out of their spa.  Well now we know what they were doing from the top of the screen-  dropping eggs through the holes that were too close for the baby toads to escape!  And yup, they were clogging the system.  Damn 'em.  These too are an invasive species and they are trying to blame some pet shop in trouble with a hurricane letting them go.  Don't believe it.  The damn things are invincible and I am sure swam the Caribbean to join us in the land of Cuban Sandwiches and cane sugar.

And now every time I turn over a pot I startle 6 teensy Bufos.

I weathered my birthday basking in the light of... oh hell, I took a shower and pressed a clean shirt and then the plan was I could go work in the studio ALL DAY because TY was celebrating my birthday by playing golf.  He then showed up at 10, had to leave the golf course because he was sick.  Called the doc and he wanted him to come right over so I took him.  He was too shaken to drive, and very dehydrated.  Doc saw him right away, and sent him immediately to emergency room where they installed saline, and sent him for a days worth of tests.  He was supposed to spent the night but refused so I went to pick him up, meanwhile cancelling our reservations, calling our friends and cancelling them out too.  And then, after absorbing all that liquid he was feeling just fine thank you and he wanted me to reinstate the reservations and rally up the friends again.  I refused, but we did go out locally with them for a quick dinner.  TY's face was in his plate most of the dinner, couldn't;t wait to get him home he was so out of it.  So, he went to bed and didn't get up until this morning still insisting there is nothing wrong with him.  Doc gave him antibiotics and a stress test too because he says there is something going on in there.  Happy Birthday to me.

But never you fear, I am gonna reinstate the reservations for next week and go by myself if need be!

So, finally on Thursday I took the day and got to the studio where I continued altering my tent clothes into better fitting outfits.  Every day I'd take 6-8 blouses, shirts, tops and zip anywhere from 2" to 8" off the side seams.  I wasn't very careful, just had to make them presentable enough for another few wearings-  no tailoring, no ripping seams, just making a new one and cutting off the old.  What a pile I have worked on, and now I have a mere few days to revamp my giant quilt and get that under the big needles so I can roll it up and get it stored for who knows what.  I finally decided what I can do to merge two quilts into one piece, even though they together represent over 200 quilts.  But I need it done and put away to clear the decks for something new.  It will be renamed to:
'All the Quilts I Made Before' and is made from the remnants of this one:
'Autobiography', 1977-2016

PLUS, there is a new show coming, not due for a good long time, about schisms or crevasses or furrows-  something like that, maybe fissures?  Anyway that piece is well under way but not yet quilted and it's called:
'What I Shoulda Said' 

So now you'll know what Im talking about as I obsess over getting them done.

So, kind of an weird ARTY PIE PARTY today, but then when isn't it?

Two oddities-loving artists have created their own “people pot pies” using very different media. Special effects artist Ashley Newman was the first to try her hand at making gory, decidedly inedible pies. Made of perfectly skin-toned latex stretched over a foam base, Newman’s pies stare up blankly from their sunken, bruised eye sockets. Meanwhile, browning on the raised cheek bones and nostrils, which ooze sanguineous fluids, give the impression of a juicy, fleshy face pulled straight from the oven. 


Once Newman posted her pies online, cake artist Andrew Fuller  had grown increasingly obsessed with creepy cakes, including an anatomically correct heart cake that, when sliced, bled a goopy raspberry coulis (he sold out over Valentine’s Day). So Fuller couldn’t resist taking inspiration from Newman, with whom he has a mutually admiring relationship

 “You have to be strategic with size and proportions when you make them, because they are dough,” says Fuller. “You have to consider how much certain details may expand or warp during baking.”   Another two of Fuller's cakes.
So, there ya have it.  Wish somebody would have sent me one of these for my Birthday Pie.  Oh well, there may be a very few more chances to arrange that, if you get my drift.

Over and Out here for now.  I hope I can get on a regular schedule and some of my old friends will return.  It's lonely out here blogging into the wind.
                                                                                              
                                                                                                     Sandy












No comments:

Post a Comment