Wednesday, August 15, 2018

muscle growth market

“Never join an organization.” 


Squirrel asks, since he was already dressed in drag.

OK, so What's Stopping YOU?

I know what my own roadblocks are- and you do too, I'm sure, after all this time.  

I'm feeling like I'm I'm hanging out here alone without input.  I so miss the 40 years of my crit group because I could count on them for honesty and practical advice.  They didn't put up with frivolity, but certainly encouraged thoughtful work.  And we didn't ever ohhh and ahhh over each others work.

Lately I've been taking 3 or 4 articles of clothing over to the studio and revamping them so they fit after dropping some lbs.  For years I have bought clothes and saved them for best, but now all this rarely worn stuff is like wearing muumuus so I am altering it.  I am getting tired of the whole act, but simply cannot buy any more clothes, need to use up what I have- 20 years worth of stuff hanging happily unworn.  Actually I have chopped off enough material that you'd think the closet would be leaner but it isn't.  I've stopped re-making all these floppy shirts and now just zip 2" off each side seam and arm- seems to be what is easiest and might encourage me to wear them again.  But because of so much practical sewing, it's hard to get to the sewing I really want to do!


So, this is the plan:  the piece on the left was the top of the giant tower I made last year for the NE Quilt Museum Crit Group retrospective.  Each 'leaf' has the name of a quilt I had made over the years.  The piece on the right is made of the cut out circles from the centers of all the quilts I cut into 24" circles.  The PLAN is to combine them both by adding the leaves to the surface of the circles quilt.  I need to tack them on so they stay put BUT can be lifted up to read the quilt names on the backs.  I am thinking maybe buttons to hold them on, or perhaps using the old quilt gun with the plastic tabs if I have enough-  though I don't want to see plastic tabs.  All the circles are appliquéd on top of each other, so I could possibly undo the stitching and insert the end of a leaf and re-sew-  but there are 200+ leaves...
Ummm, thanks!  I just got a new idea while 'splainin' to you!  Maybe sew the leaves together along one end, willy nilly, into a long string and then only attach to the big quilt here and there!  Yup, that's the ticket.
Will report back from the studio IF it works, maybe even with pictures!  If it doesn't work, then you will never see this again. You might notice I used the top part of the circle quilt as the masthead for this blog, but I couldn't get the title to show against so many colors.  Still working on that.

Now we're gonna peek at other people's work, an ARTY PARTY!

Today I want to bring your attention to Roanna Wells, a UK artist who works with mark making and stitcheryin an unusual way:





                   



I found a great interview with her you can read HERE.  It was conducted in April of this year and is very revealing of her artistry.

Yesterday I was sitting in the quiet bedroom chair catching up on email when I saw SOMETHING from the corner of my eye-  looked up to see the biggest raccoon ever right outside the door, two feet from me.  Florida raccoons are different from Northern ones, they are very skinny with no fat layer-  AND they march around in the daytime even when they are healthy.
See?  Skinny!  Long skinny legs, very high body.  This stock photo was the only skinny raccoon I could find.  I think that raccoons still have a use, though it falls into the Davie Crockett nostalgia file:


Yesterdays raccoon was running scared when he saw me through the glass door.  No way will I be letting Molly out into the back yard for awhile.  And that's my Wildlife Report for today.  Off to the studio with my pile of Big Clothes and my Big Problem once I get there-  wish me luck.
                                     Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment