Monday, August 13, 2018

three scissors future




OK, I'm gonna make something out of the Perseid Meteor Showers going on right now above my head.  Oh, did I not mention it's 3:30 AM and I just came inside covered with morning dew from lying on the edge of the hot tub staring into the night sky?  I had checked at 11 PM last night and it was very cloudy in the northeast where I was supposed to be watching, but if I looked straight up and didn't try to actually see anything, faint trails appeared here and there.  If you have ever had a field vision test at your eye exam ('put your head in this giant egg and watch for pin pricks of light and hit the button!'), it was just like that-  As soon as you THINK you see something it's too late, very frustrating. 
From Space.com:
Meteors originate in space, where there is virtually no air. They begin as particles that have been shed from a comet's nucleus. When these particles ram through our atmosphere at very high speeds, atmospheric friction causes them to blaze up within the space of a heartbeat. And they leave behind a very hot trail of gas, which creates the effect of a "shooting star."
 Anyway I woke up at about 3 and laid there trying to decide whether I cared enough to go back outside and finally decided I need to because it's not gonna happen in this extreme again in my forecasted lifetime.  So, out I went.  All the lights are of course out on the street at that hour except one giant unfailing bulb right across the street that I had to block by standing with a palm tree blocking it mostly out.  Standing in the driveway with my giant head thrown back staring up got old fast so I retreated to the backyard thinking maybe a chair would help.  Everything was too wet so that's how I ended up on the edge of the hot tub lying flat to block out the street lamp.

So, there I was following yet another 'hot trail of gas'.  It was big deal. I saw some pretty impressive tails streak by, some smaller ones here and there, and a whole lot of fuzzy little tails.  The clouds had mostly dissipated over the water in the NE so it was much clearer than earlier that evening.  Very cool to add that onto my 'Things To Do Before I Can't' list.  Last year was the eclipse on my birthday and I guess I need to pay attention to the skies in August-  that message is coming through loud and clear.

speaking of skies

Remember Sky King on Saturday morning tv back when tv was a new and exciting thing with only one channel?  1950-something.  Just looked it up-  it was on from 1951 to 1962!  Wow, what a run, my entire childhood!  
 "From out of the clear blue of the western sky comes Sky King"  
I identified with niece Penny and decided I would have my own Cessna some day, don't think I'll be keeping that on the ole bucket list any longer.  Will drop the Penny role model along with it. 



Molly's First Squirrel.  She doesn't play with toys any longer but this was certainly a bestie for a very long time.  When we moved to FL she spent much time trying to follow real ones as they spiraled around trees teasing her.  She gave up on them about then and her attentions turned to Sand Hill Cranes-  those guys are 5 feet tall and mean!  She would take of into a vacant lot after a family group of them and they would look at her in distain so she would bring her humiliation  back to me to go 'get 'em, mom!  

So, Sunday is over.  I am not a fan of going to the studio on Sundays because the industrial park is pretty empty then.  Long ago the Christian Metal band that practiced next door moved on (WHEW!).  All I hear are occasional gun shots in the distance and guys roaring by on a track of some sort behind the building.  Anyway, I am housebound on Sundays so I throw out stuff here too.  Today I found 4 dresses that I might wear if they fit me again, so I have them ready to go today to meet  the revved up revitalized invigorated sewing machine.  As happy as I am to take off the weight, there is the little problem of getting clothes that fit back into the closet without spending money!  That's why I am reverting to making and altering clothes again-  I have 20 years worth of stuff too good to toss or doesn't fit or needs changes made- whatever- 

Sort of an ARTY PARTY
The other day on Atlas Obscura they did an article about quilts made from 19th century British soldiers uniforms that knocked me out!   
“The promotion of the soldier-quiltmaker was part of a calculated campaign throughout the United Kingdom to rehabilitate public opinion about the careless administration of the war,” Gero writes, in an accompanying essay to a 2017 exhibition of the quilts at the American Folk Art Museum in New York, “and also to endorse quiltmaking as a masculine and healthful alternative to less savory activities among enlisted men, such as drinking and gambling.” 
I say 'ha.'  Go read the article, they are amazing quilts made from tiny scraps of wool hand pieced.  Imagine how heavy they would be!  MAKE SURE TO CLICK ON THEM TO ENLARGE!





******************************

Atlas Obscura has a new wing called Gastro Obscura where they feature food stories from around the world.  Recently they did an article about Black Sesame Sweet Soup from China (see their version to left)and capped it off with a recipe and a Cook-Off.  Hey, remember I said I had nothing to do on Sundays?  I made Black Sesame  Sweet Soup.  Recipe is at the link.  And it just so happened I had black sesame seeds and black rice on hand (it calls for white rice but I did 'em one better!).  IF you decide to enter this cook off, know that there are short cuts and different ways to attack the recipe so just ask me!  Entries not due until August 21. 

my version, I think the white sesame seeds perk it up a bit, eh?

Hoohaa-  it's now 5 AM so I guess I'll go back to bed for an hour!  See you soon,   Sandy
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment