Saturday, January 25, 2020

concretized excusable dewan




When I went to art school, I was just having fun. I realised that was the last chance I had, and then I would have to get a job.     john-baldessari

                                               
                                       awwww


So, here I am at the studio, believe it or not.  My fingers are sore already from doing needle turned appliqué- a technique woefully outdated by the use of fusible and machine stitching.  But what can I say, I am old...  and this quilt was actually started 20 years ago celebrating the raccoon babies return every fall decimating the little grape crop on my arbor in my old house.  Don't think I will include the babies.  I pulled out the cut and pinned basics of my intentions when I was actually cleaning up the other day-  I had completely forgotten about it and decided it needs to be finished.  SO, here I am.  Today I sewed down a few more vine shapes as well as picked out some grape fabric for next.  I had green grapes but I have more purple fabric, so purple grapes it will be-  who will care?  Nobody.  Handwork really helps your head!  


  


And Ollie, my 5 month old helper.  Today he is eating dead bugs and straight pins-  and planting himself at my ankles wherever I stop.  He WILL get squashed one of these days when I fall on him and break a hip.  He  is growing like I am giving him fertilizer so his chosen diet seems to be agreeing with him.  At playgroup this morning on the golf course just as it's getting light, he was pretty much able to keep up with a full grown Wheaten who can practically fly!    

The Formidable Little Ollie!  




But back to work:  Finished one of the vines, taking a break to work on the Unicorn Quilt next.  I have to make a bunch of hunters so made some templates to work from to integrate into the bushes.  I have a bunch of weird unicorns from Medieval sources printed out but I think I need to draw them out and make templates for them too.  I'm letting the plan ferment and hoping I come up with an easy way to deal at some early morning worryfest.  
                                         Rough copies for size and placement.

ALSO, still working on my grandmother's wedding dress project.  I had hoped to have it ready to print for all my cousins on that side of the family but failed-  I need to do some serious rethinking on that one, the edges are looking pretty ratty from all the handling.  The fabrics aren't tight enough to appliqué, so this may well be the piece I pull out and work on in another twenty years!  And Sew It Goes.

Will ya take that as my Ahht Lesson for today?  

                                                                                                        Sewer Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment