Tuesday, January 21, 2020

lasting monotonic antiseptize

SQUIRREL APPRECIATION DAY
(mark your calendars so you don't forget again next year)

OK, that's out of the way- let me know how you will b celebrating this wonderful commemorative day.  
My own plan is a stop at my Stitch group followed by a quick lunch-  I say quick because it's outside and today is unseasonably cold.  Don't think we will linger.
THEN, to the studio to have compleat silence so I can concentrate on casting on my new yarn for the double sided throw. They have thrown me a curve ball changing the cast on and I need the extra time they give the autistic kids in exams...  I admit the brain cels ain't what they used to be but I can still park my car between two lines.
It's just casting on that flummoxes me.

Ollie continues to be my main focus these days so studio time is rare.  TY took him to playgroup on the golf course this morning to wear the little fur ball out and it did, but like little kids on sugar, he gets MORE active when he's tired, so it was a thrill to toss him into his crate so I can get away for a bit.  
LETS JUST SAY THAT INSTEAD OF SPREADING PUPPY JOY ALL OVER THE HOUSE, HE RESORTED TO POOP.

I over scheduled myself already for Thursday night-  at 5 I have a webinar with the Knit Stars, then at 6 a transition over to the Art Quilting on the Long Arm webinar, don't know how long I will last but I guess I will make a casserole ahead, just in case. 

Found a tattoo I really like:
but alas, even though I don't worry about my cemetery rules, I am too old.


FREE AHhhh Lesson:
Clyfford Still
Of all the 20th-century artists who  controlled  their own markets, Clyfford Stil was arguably the most forceful. In 1951, the Abstract Expressionist
stopped working with galleries and became his own dealer. He continued to paint for nearly three decades, retaining complete authority over his canvases’ whereabouts: Until his death in 1980 at age 75, no one could purchase a Still on the primary market without going through the artist himself. This was no easy task. Content to live and paint in Maryland, selling the occasional work in order to get by, Still made admirers prove themselves worthy of his art. 
Tired of critics, the market, and other artists, Still left the art world in 1951 and became his own gallerist, though he worked with New York’s Marlborough Gallery on at least one occasion. He moved to Maryland in 1961, and refused to participate in the Venice Biennale at least four times. He made notable gifts to American institutions that would agree to show his canvases together—he firmly believed an artist’s artworks should be shown together in one space, instead of in dialogue with other artists’ works. The Albright-Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo, New York, mounted a large-scale retrospective of Still’s work in 1959, and the artist subsequently donated 31 paintings to the institution.
(Me again:)Back in the 50's we lived in Buffalo near the Albright Knox Museum and it was my treat to spend time there.  It was FULL of Clyfford Still paintings and I think I just got engaged by the free strokes and bright colors, not to mention the giant sizes of his work!  It just got embedded and I have been a fan now for my entire life.  
And now for someone else's FAB work:
    
Drawing inspiration from across centuries, mediums, and cultures, artist Rebecca Szeto identifies both anonymous and historically significant women to depict atop the carved handles of old used paint brushes. From the first woman to graduate with a degree in architecture from MIT to a Chibok schoolgirl kidnapped by Boko Haram in 2014, or an anonymous face lifted from a 17th century Baroque painting, each portrait presents the face of a woman who has come in and out of focus throughout history.

You can explore the individual stories of all the women featured in the works seen here on Szeto’s website, and she’ll have work on view at Root Division in San Francisco as part of an exhibition titled Bizarre Bizarre curated by Michael Arcega



Whew, that's a lot to digest!  I am now going to stuff poor Ollie into the car and head for the studio where I have my own work to do.  Call any time and come join me.  I have coffee and enjoy a little humanity now and then!  And you get a talk about whatever I am doing...or NOT doing, now.

                                                                 Sewin' Sandy, tired of Unknittin' Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment