Saturday, January 18, 2020

stomps gurnard took


“It is a mistake to look too far ahead,” wrote Churchill. “Only one link of the chain of destiny can be handled at a time.”

Today I am laid up with a touch o' the vertigo again, but had to get moving because the doggie needs to go out.  New trick- he started lifting up his hind leg to pee which is quite hysterical because he lifts the wrong one or he falls over or gets pee all over the down leg.  One day he will figure it out but meanwhile just another hitch here in Bringing Up Baby.  

All over, things with the pup are so much better-  he isn't shredding my skin nearly as much and I have mended most of the holes he has put in my clothes-  he follows me whereverI move to and jumps up to grab any flapping fabric which of course gets caught on his tiny teeth and pulls out a nice three cornered tear.  One way to clear out a wardrobe, eh?

I may have to start a gofundme project to buy this sun screen for my car- how perfect is that?  Your squirrely picture for the day!

Big doings around here for the last three days-  we had closet guys here to put cabinets in the garages for storage.  I even got a garage refrigerator because of outgrowing the kitchen model.  I was amazed at how cheap one can buy a new refrigerator and this one can also be changed to a freezer if we want.  We don't want-  I already have a fast collection of leftover shit in my freezer-  ice crystal bound hunks of who-knows-what.  When I was a kid I remember the local market having a big sale every so often of cans with no labels-  you bought them for next to nothing and took them home to make dinner out of whatever you opened.  You expect pineapple, you get tunafish.  You hope for chili, you get floppy white asparagus.  Kind of fun for the first can or two, but one of us (not ME) opened a can of clams and put it back in the cupboard because he didn't want that.  My poor mother didn't find the punctured can for days, thought we would have to move the smell was so bad.

I went to a D'art for Art fundraiser the other night, but my table wasn't called until the end when all the things I had earmarked were taken.  One thing I had admired was a tiny doll-house-sized full detailed loom under a glass dome, and it was still available so I grabbed it.
It has little heddles and a couple of shuttles and even a traditional coverlet in progress.
I needed another chatske like a hole in the head, but since I started out back in the day as a weaver, it seemed appropriate.  My 4 harness loom was the first thing I bought when I started working and I treasured it for years.  The directions were all in French so I had to figure out by sight which stick went where and it was certainly a box of a thousand sticks, all just slightly different by a router edge! So, all in all, I think this little model cost me about the same as the floor model back in 1966!  I did finally get rid of it when it became a clothes hanger instead of a tool.

                            Accidental Ahhhh Lesson 

During a nine year period in the early 2000’s a new metro line was excavated along the banks of Amsterdam’s Amstel river. The urban waterway had to be completely pumped, which gave archeologists a rare opportunity to examine the full spectrum of everyday and extraordinary objects which had fallen to the bottom of the prominent river. Below the Surface, a website created by the Department of Archaeology; Monuments and Archaeology (MenA), the City of Amsterdam; and their Chief Technology Officer, serves as an interactive compendium with access to images and information of 19,000 of the nearly 700,000 findings from the excavation site.
S




I hope you enlarge these to identify all the things they found!  And you do have to admire the organization of the collections!  So, what's the art lesson here?  Why repetition and patterning, of course.  The idea is that things can get more interesting when they are repeated over a surface.  Look at the second from the last with all the clay pipes for instance-  Even though they are arranged systematically, the vertical lines that are set up are off kilter and much more captivating than if it were a regular line.

Guess I'll go sit straight up and look straight ahead for a bit to see if I can stop spinning.  Feel like I'm riding the Teacups at Disney but perhaps this time I won't throw up.  One can hope.  

Sew Sandy Sew!  



No comments:

Post a Comment