Friday, March 13, 2020

lasting monotonic antiseptize

because I am a 'compromised' person on several fronts...

one can hope
Hedda Sterne:  "In our time, artists are inclined to believe that art is like honey, the product of their own subconsciouses, their own minds, and I do not. I see myself as a well-working lens, a perceiver of something that exists independently of me: don’t look at me, look at what I've found!"


Unaffected by it all

Life has really changed this week, hasn't it?  We have had our whole family scheduled in to visit in April- 3 different groups, I am teaching a collage class at the Mendal Library in West Palm, we are having an opening of our crit group show out in Colorado that the five of us were traveling to, and Ty's golf friends coming this weekend, both 'compromised' cancelled too.  Frankly I didn't know how I could handle all that bed-changing and cooking but somehow I was slammed from the end of March through the first week in May.  No more.  TY and I are huddled in the house waiting for the next shoe to drop.  All that has dropped so far are plans-  you know the old saying,
 "Man plans and god laughs."
Too true.  

So many friends here are now even scared to fly back to their homes up north yet want to get there to be near family and their regular medical services.  Our Canadian friends are especially worried about waiting too long and not being able to fly at all.

Schools here are still open but around Boston they are all closed, at least until the end of the regular spring break.  And amazingly, they are even going to cancel the Boston Marathon which has never happened before-  there is talk about doing it in the fall-  listen to god laughing again!

But back to the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum, out there in Golden Colorado.  I am sending six quilts out and I think I can manage with just two big Sono tubes.  Of course that means I will lose 3 quilts  instead of 1 (or 6 quilts instead of 2!) when Fed Ex messes up, but losing quilts at this point is not an issue- maybe they will end up somewhere better than rolled up in the bathroom of my studio!  I keep them in the bathroom because it's a low ceiling room and hopefully won't overflow with water when and if the sprinklers go off, at least partially protected from a small disaster.  The designated quilts aren't my choice, just the things that were presented in the original package since I had destroyed most of them for the last show.  Too late to switch horses, would have liked to finish the wedding dress quilt of my Colorado grandmother but it wasn't to be.  I have 4 female cousins on that grandmother's side-  one is in PA and elderly, the other is younger and in DC, but the two sisters are in Colorado Springs and I was hoping to entice them to Golden to meet them AND their grandmother's dress.  
(There he goes laughing again.)

Yesterday I scooted over to the local kitting shop to grab another project and some long needles for the throw I started on too short needles.  So last night I ripped and ripped and restarted the 'right' way-  I KNEW there were mistakes and it was all I could see when I spread it out.  New chance for fewer mistakes!  And I got some gorgeous variegated hand dyed stuff that I have no idea what to do with-  probably just put it somewhere I can just look at it and not mess it up into a ball...  sick, I know.  But I am set for home-isolation.  Today I'm making chicken soup and a beef broth for ramen.  Will freeze some for *just-in-case* coming up.  

And you've read this like you care, thanks.  I got Ollie through his temperament test at the boarding facility and also signed him on for playgroup once a week.  The dog place is right next to my studio and easy to drop off and pick up-  I paid up front through June to keep him busy, and giving me a dog day off IF things reopen and there is somewhere to go! 

Hope that next post is sunnier, but it will probably be worse until it gets any better at all.

BUT I have been getting ads like crazy on the inter tubes-  all the big stores are pushing hard to sell because no one is shopping any more in the stores.  Here's why:

Cute shirt, eh?  Grab it now because it's been MARKED DOWN from $769 from $2045.

Well, maybe if you're into fairies you'll like this- $489 marked down from $1760.

These are pants, shiny slippery baggy pants, suitable for putting out fires and eating giant meals.  You can order them for $405 because they are marked down from $1495-  a deal, but I bet they are hot as all get out.  Oh!  HOTPANTS!   I get it now., no I am NOT gonna get it, I 'GET IT'.

I'll have something more exciting next time-  plenty of time to research a few things!  Meanwhile, stay isolated, scrub your hands, and don't talk to people up close.

                                                    Not-Much-Sewing Sandy, thankful for her internets

1 comment:

  1. Sandy — I hear your frustration! I had just got my “art wings” back after a 10+ year slough and was quite excited about a spring Open Studios event planned for early May. However, even if they don’t cancel the event, unless there is a miraculous subsidence of this epidemic, I can’t imagine that it would make sense to have a trail of strangers wandering through the four main rooms of our house (where most of my work will be hanging) plus my studio and breathing out droplets, possibly leaving live virus on everything they touch. Sigh! I hope I can hang onto my surge of energy until next spring. Be well! — Dianne

    ReplyDelete