Friday, May 22, 2020

federalisation undset dobbin

"You are a victim of the rules you live by."
— Jenny Holzer



There are many aspects of the poster above that can make it art.  There is the color, the font, the spirit, the graphic design, and of course the text.  It could be changed with a yellow line diagonal or a punched out series of circles around the edge.  It could have an image of a monkey hanging from the dot, or be printed on a map.  The fact that somebody thought about it, made the changes, or left it alone, makes it a successful creative project.  Art.  Please make sure and surround yourself with art at every opportunity.  Even a soapdish can be art.  Be aware and make necessary changes- your life will improve.

And now this-  I am SURE someone thinks this is art but I will argue about it
It IS a cheesy squirrel ceramic piece that belongs in an old Aunt's china cupboard.  Maybe the person who poured the slip into the manufactured mold thinks it's art, guess it isn't mine to call SO take it as the Squirrel Of The Day, not art.

I need to talk about the virus, and I will take a stance that is quite unpopular.  I believe that the worse has past.  We stayed away from each other, we socially distanced, we cooked and cooked and cooked, and we put up with no toilet paper for months.  Here in Florida things are loosening up and restaurants are open, the mall is phasing back in, and dearLordthankyou, TJMaxx opened yesterday. Since the beginning of this isolation, I have dreamt about getting back to TJ's-  I use it as a social observatory and it lets me 'buy' anything I want.  I love it, I load it up in my basket and drive on.  When the basket is getting too hard to push I find a dark corner and reassess what I picked and most of it is crap so then I circle around again and hang things back up and stick things back on shelves and I FEEL like I have been shopping. I drove by and saw cars in the parking lot, tied on my mask and waited in the short line to take the place of someone leaving.  Everything i the store was on sale and it was so good to look and touch again. I bought very little, but got to see everything I wanted to.  I did get two B&W striped beach towels since Ollie has shredded our in a frenzy.  Everybody stayed 6' away from each other and everybody was masked.  And I felt normal for about an hour.  Like I took a drug.

SHELF ISOLATION

Tonight for dinner I hauled out a frozen turkey and heated it up.  It was a leftover from Thanksgiving since I bought 2 turkeys.  I will make soup tomorrow and eat it for a few days.  Sandwiches tonight were pretty good actually.  I am on a mission to empty out the refrigerator and freezer so I can start anew but I am not doing a very good job so far.  Thankfully the turkey took a lot of room so I can unjam the rest of the stuff.  Of course all the damn bread Ive been making is also in there so one of those loaves may come out in the morning.  My goal is to get down to just the misc. containers of stuff I forgot to label, then have a surprise night to find what is in there and make dinner around it.  Another rule-  it has to be consumed in ONE meal, I cannot make leftovers out of leftovers any more.

AHHT OF THE EVENING


When he’s not cooking them, Japanese chef and food artist Takehiro Kishimoto is turning fruits and vegetables into intricately carved sculptures too beautiful to eat. Using sharp handheld blades, Kishimoto combines the centuries-old art of Thai fruit carving with the Japanese art of Mukimono to decorate apples, carrots, broccoli, and broad beans with geometric patterns and elaborate designs.
The precision easily could be mistaken for digital photo manipulation were it not for the process videos that Kishimoto shares on his Instagram, where he also writes that he hopes the Thai carving tradition will spread around the world.













Since it is Memorial Day, I will spend time remembering our family Marine and wondering where the time went since he was killed in 1968.  Unimaginable from this vantage point, I still miss him every day.  What a waste of a wonderful young man.
The final words from General Thomson, who was Army:


                                                                                                      Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment