Tuesday, July 4, 2023

The New Deal


An existential lightening bolt, or perhaps a dry dream, or maybe just a dash of reality has hit.  I pass a guy in my industrial park every day who does web design, but I haven't had enough nerve to hire him to re-jigger my website which I know won't 'fix' what I want fixed.  The pandemic, umm, two years after my last post actually, has pretty much brought the monkey wrench into my ---er---EXPECTATIONS--- for the remainder of this planet ride of mine.  I'm on a new tangent and that is just to use up the stuff I have accumulated so far and make it into something else.  I am tying to organize things I will possibly use and get rid of things I don't have any interest in revisiting.  The order of business is as follows:

USE UP:  1.  all my vintage fabric, 2.  all the hand painted-printed-screened fabric both my own and collected from various admired artists, 3.  must rethink all started and discarded things that I thought were worthy,  4.  the giant tub of Kaffe and the pile of Marimekko and the shelves of linens, vintage and home-dec.

DONATE to Repot Depot:  all still usable art supplies, papers, equipment, duplicate tools, yarns, threads, and books.

TOSS IN THE DUMPSTER:  used shipping materials, cardboard, tubes, and noodles, covering fabrics, broken or things that used up their shelf life, notebooks of lesson plans, outdated printing materials, directions, ephemera, clippings, too-tiny-to-contemplate scraps.

FOR SALE:  a serger, an undated Bernina emergency machine, a Q-20 quilting machine, a shredder, a red Koureg, a tiny red microwave, and a baby red refrigerator.  Ask for specifics, all perfect for studios, all working but buyer beware.  Ask if you are interested, all are for pick-up, not for shipping.  

The THING is that I am simply not spending as much time in the studio as I have for the last 15 years and things have accumulated and taken over what was once a wonderful space.  I need to pare down to only essentials so I can concentrate on doing projects I enjoy, like the Unification of Unicorns quilt and the big one with only big peaches that look like they were possibly originated in a coal mine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment