Friday, October 26, 2018

giovanni pats subglacially

  'Everyone has a right to be stupid. Politicians just abuse the privilege.' (Unknown)

Hi there, remember me?  I've been off the grid lately and no apologies, I've just been busy and blogging is low priority any more with no followers left.  Writing to myself just ain't quite compelling enough.  Thanks for understanding.
I'll start out with a few things that have kept me busy-  I have finished another quilt, this one called a SCURRY OF SQUIRRELS.  And here's how it started-
1.
The Marimekko tree fabric used as a wall hanging in the picture.  Yup, I had a bunch of it so dug it out.  Kept it lying around as a reminder.
2.
Unfinished little quilt top that's also been languishing around as a burden-  I called it 'Murmuration' for awhile but it was missing something so instead I made another 'Murmuration' that was a tad more literal:
3.
Fits much better for me.  And oh, BTW, today I found a new picture of Meghan Markle wearing a $6000 dress with MY BIRDS all over it.  Damn.
4.
But, back to my little useless piece, if you please- see #2 above.
5.
I added the Marimekko trees, and already feel better.  Found some wonderful Japanese cotton in dirt green for the ground and added on an additional already sewn slice of some piece of crap I found that worked just fine.Covered up some the blocks but cut them off the back to use later as the grid at bottom right.  Kept cutting up squares and pinning them up until I had no choice but to sew them down as they were pretty ratty from all my handling woes.  It isn't really a grid, just a way to extend and meld 2 fabrics together than need a bit of containment.
6.
Pinned, and pretty darn loose to contradict the order of the squares and previous blocks.  But next I layered it and quilted it all over, then added the binding-  a nice wide one so the stripes turned into checks.  I do love a cheeky binding.  (See the last 40 or 50 quilts I've made.  Recite that thing about old dogs and new tricks. ) 
7.  Voila
Well then, since it was a Murmuration piece before, it became A SCURRY OF SQUIRRELS!  Trouble is that squirrels do not flock, they are a very solitary bunch so I had to hide them from each other to keep it real.  Did a search for Public Domain  Squirrels and printed 45 of them out on a white on white fabric-  the black in was a bit too absorbed but they after all, ARE gray squirrels, see---
    
Love how you can't see them until your nose is on the quilt top.  And there ya go.  Next I will work on A SHIVER OF SHARKS because it's another animal in multiple easy to make out of yet another vintage bunch of old Marimekko blocks I've already sewn up.

So, why else is new?  My little online group is just about caught up with the 12" 'pages' where we explore new ways of doing stuff.  Mine are all on the wall here, 2 years worth.  Next year the size will probably change but it's nice having them all the same:
This years theme was Deconstruction.

Also have been working with a gal who is attempting to resurrect the old Pod 8 for Florida SAQA.  We had one meeting, have plans to get together a few times before meeting #2 which will be in my studio so I am going crazy looking for a few more stools 'just in case'.  Hope it all pans out because I would love to cull a few like-individuals for a bit of a crit group.  We'll see what happens.  Fingers crossed.

Bi-Monthly Doggie Report:  Molly is still with us, she passed 14 1/2 last week which puts here roughly at 104 in people years.  Doesn't eat much, sleeps most of the day and all night, still on insulin and hip joint meds but basically isn't uncomfortable.  Some slight Doggie Dementia where she walks into walls or stares at her toes, but she recovers quickly.  I am sure going to miss her after all these years, so until she shows me a sign I am keeping at making her comfortable.  Hope somebody does the same for me ''cause I am 10 1/2 in dog years, also on insulin but no hip issues.  Matter of fact, no issues except jumping is difficult.

The termite lady showed up today and yup, I have a bit of termite chomping going on in my 3 year old house.  Seems that my kitchen woodworker used some tainted plywood and the damn critters are eating my island.  Fortunately for now a spot treatment is in order, but here I sit in a cement house, steel girders and metal wall supports, and some guy who got a deal on plywood has me infected.  Who knew it takes years to come out.  At least I don't have to suffer the humiliation of a giant TENT over my whole house.  Yet.

How I spend my free evenings, wouldn't you?

Signing off with my latest purchase from my local Farmers Market.  Don't you think she looks like me without my glasses?
                                                                                             Sandy

3 comments: