Wednesday, October 3, 2018

terminatively dinka diamond

Yea Vinnie!  That calls for a squirrel~

        I'm sure he meant to say 'love people and squirrels!'

I have been amusing myself lately with silly 'challenges' that pop up on sites I frequent and much to my surprise I get a bit of credit when I do it!  Here is this week's surprise-  Gastro Obscura, a division of Atlas Obscura which you really must subscribe to, talked about a Chinese soup made of black sesame seeds and threw down the gauntlet as to a recipe and how we would change it.  So, I did it.  I have since found that there are a bunch of recipes online for it but I followed their directions as printed because I had no idea what the outcome would be.  And if you don't know what it's supposed to be, how can you make informed changes?

So, here's my picture that I submitted and the link to the other featured attempts are below.
                                                          Black Sesame Sweet Soup
I completely bow down to the woman who lives in the woods and made the whole thing over a campfire-  about all I do over a campfire is roast marshmallows.  Or more likely it would be roasting over the fire pit with shish kebab skewers instead of sticks.  I gave up portaging canoes and catching breakfast trout, cooked in a pan full of Crisco, as well as washing frying pans with sand-  long ago.  Now I have my immersion blender and cast iron frypans and a nested bunch of glass bowls to soak all the stuff as required!  In air conditioned comfort.  But definitely read the lady's outdoor experience report.

Earlier this summer I sent in a picture of a giant afghan I made out of knitted hexagons to the Koigu blog where they had asked for things made from their yarns.  I had previously finished a piece that had started as a way to use up all the Koigu scraps left from 15 years worth it being my favorite yarn.
I can't find the finished pictures now, but do have Molly guarding a pile of the hexes, thousands of them:



The bottom line to this story is that I won a prize for that month and it was a bag of more lovely Koigu what I will use to make a cowl for my next trip to Boston.  No hurry, it is needed now and will still be used in May.  So, maybe the quilting ribbons have dried up, and that's fine, and I have a new hobby- submitting to online silly projects!  So far I'm batting 1000!

Quick ARTY PARTY for you today:
And yes, it's fiber art.  I adore this work, doilies out of control.  Here ya go-





Artist Ashley V Blalock crochets enormous red doilies that she then installs in site-specific configurations ranging from galleries to stairwells to trees outside. Her ongoing project, Keeping Up Appearances, began in 2011 and has been installed at museums, galleries, and gardens across the United States.Artist Ashley V Blalock crochets enormous red doilies that she then installs in site-specific configurations ranging from galleries to stairwells to trees outside. Her ongoing project, Keeping Up Appearances, began in 2011 and has been installed at museums, galleries, and gardens across the United States.The artist describes the meaning behind Keeping Up Appearances: “Although non-threatening in a domestic setting, in the gallery and at this scale the [doilies] overtake the viewer and cover the walls… Inherent is a compulsion to arrange and place and decorate in order to control or influence a perceived outward appearance. The red color gives away the futility of such an act and hints at the unease that lurks below the surface of an obsessive need to control and arrange.”





That was fun, eh?  Have a great day-  do something out of the box.                                

                                                                                                      Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment