Thursday, February 27, 2020

nutritive umpired vaporish

(me, at the movies)


 Austin Kleon-  “how good it feels, when life’s problems seem unsolvable, to work on solvable problems with your hands.”


Your Daily Squirrel, before we go any further:



posted to put things in perspective


OK, that daily bizniz is out o the way so now is my time to kvetch.  We had Ollie in for his neutering the other day, all went well and instead of a cone on his l'il head they gave him a Onsie and he looks so skinny with all his hair squashed into it.
  
But it keeps him from picking at his incision.  Like a baby Onesie, it has crotch snaps so I can roll it up to take him outside.  Except he then accidentally pees on it and I have to peel it off of him, plunk on his rubber tire inflatable neckpiece which renders him catatonic so I have to use a leash to guide him.  
I wash the Onesie but it's made of some super absorbent stuff that doesn't dry in a normal cycle that handles two giant towels easily.  So now he is running naked through the house and the cool breeze is ...umm...ACTIVATING those natural processes.
So, it looks like that's my lot in life the next 10 days.  The vet did give me a sedative to help keep him quiet and it worked a bit too well.  Today he is bounding around and it's all I can do to keep him confined, poor guy.

I brought home the quilt I am 'big stitching' on and have set up shop in the dining room so I can use the lights in there.  It's coming along pretty well, but I haven't gotten to the real tiny stuff yet, mostly concentrating on the larger leaves so far.  I really need to get this one further along so I can lock myself into the studio to finish the one with my grandmother's wedding dress.  I've promised it for the Rocky Mountain show in April and need LOTS more work on it before I can happily send her back to Colorado full circle!  Anyway, all of a sudden I am under the gun again.  This retirement shit ain't for sissies.
I was asked to jury a small local show here and they paid me way too much for my short time working.  So I have refunded half my fee and directed them to use it for shipping their works to the show they are aiming for-  some very nice quilts there and I wish them all the best in their endeavors.  Hope this gives them a tiny boost to keep on keeping on!   I sure could use a push myself.

All the guests left Sunday-  we had 6 people here for 4 days and only one of those days was warm and sunny.  TR and I were scratching our heads trying to think of INDOOR things to do that they haven't done already.  Climbing the lighthouse was voted off the island immediately.  Age range was from 3 to 75 so finding things we were all into was impossible.  Now all the leftover food is my focus.  AND the cold I contracted from splashing through the cold rain.  Probably little sewing today because I can't see past my sniffing' nose.  But perhaps a day of rest is in order-  just wish I had a guarantee it was going to be better tomorrow.


Ahht Lesson
and the 'lesson' here is that art is what you make of it!






Artist Kathleen Ryan creates a conversation between the beautiful and the grotesque in her oversized sculptures of mold-covered fruit. The New York-based artist uses precious and semi-precious stones like malachite, opal, and smoky quartz to form the simulacrum of common green rot on each fruit. Working at a larger-than-life scale, Ryan creates a foam base, rudimentarily painted to map out the fresh and rotten areas on the surface. She then individually places each gemstone, with varied shapes, sizes, and colors that emulate the shift from desirable to disgusting. Lemons are a particular favorite, but Ryan also works with oranges and pears, with each work scaling 6 to 29 inches. “The sculptures are beautiful and pleasurable, but there’s an ugliness and unease that comes with them,” Ryan told The New York Times.

 Sew Sew Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment